A while back I came across this pattern called the Cradle Purse by Betty Rector. I think it’s such a fun idea for a child. I am making this as part of a baby shower gift, this is for the older child.
This uses very little yarn, I had some left overs of Caron Simply Soft in two shades of purple and I used a G Hook. The following are my modifications for the pattern I wanted mine a little wider so I could fit a larger doll.
- Row 1: per pattern
- Row 2: ch3, dc in the next 18, 2dc in the next st, 2 dc in the next st, dc in the next 19, 2dc in the next st, 2 dc in the next st, join to beginning of round
- Row 3: ch3, dc in the next 18, 2dc in the next 4 stitches, dc in the next 19, 2dc in the next 4 stitches, join to beginning of round(54 stitches)
- Row 4 – 7: ch3, dc in each dc, join at the end of each round
- Row 8: row 7 of pattern (I placed my markers later)
- Row 9: row 8 of pattern
- Row 10-14: dc in each dc around
- Row 15: ch3, make 3dc in same stitch as ch 3,* skip next 2 stitches, sc in next stitch, skip next 2 stitches, 4 dc in the next stitch* around, join at the top of ch3 and fasten off.
- Cradle Hood – I placed my markers at this point. Find center of top/end of cradle, place a marker. Count 10 stitches on either side of marker and place another marker. This will be your 21 stitches for the cradle hood, then follow pattern.
- I wove my drawstrings over and under 2 stitches.
This works up in just a few hours so I put this on my quick gift list.